Monday, December 1, 2008

Don't Let The Sun Step Over You Chapters 10-12

In chapter 10 she speaks about the cities/areas around Cibecue and say that they actually ventured away from their house, however not off the reservation very often. However for this post I want to focus more on chapters 11 and 12.
In chapter 11 Tulene Watt speaks of her journey to live in Spokane for 2 years. I love to hear that story because it brings closer connection for me because it’s a “close to home” story. She speaks of going to help out the woman with her child in Spokane and in the end finds her husband. I wonder what would have happened if the woman Barbara Miller whose child she was taking care of hadn’t fought for Eva to come how different would her life be? Also in chapter 11 you see her finally traveling away from home although this was in the section of book “Leaving Home Was Hard”. She was able to see the world (or part of it) beyond her life with her family. I wonder if deep down she ever felt this was the wrong decision to leave and explore because it changed her life so dramatically in such a short amount of time.
In chapter 12 Tulene Watt speaks of her finally going back home after he husband was discharged medically from the air force. There was a lot of death in her family & her children were having trouble with school. Tulene Watt says about her mothers last moment “…she had a picture of Jesus on the wall above her bed. She went like this every times he looked at it [she extended her arm and pointed to the picture with her hand]. “Some day,” she said, “he’s gonna help me out. He’s gonna hold my hand one day” (284). I think what she remembers from her mother is big deal and I would see that would have affected her greatly from that moment on.

No comments: